The judges have decided—the votes are in! Having traveled more than 8,000 miles and scoured the country for the very best, here are the 2015 DOWNING ROADTRIP AWARDS…in order of encounter.
- BEST HISTORIC SITE: Gettysburg National Military Park, http://www.nps.gov/gett/index.htm Gettysburg, PA
- BEST HIKING GUIDE: Linda Johnston, http://www.lindasjohnston.com
- BEST COLLEGE REUNION: Laurie Graybeal, Charlotte, NC.
- BEST MUSEUM: Museum of the New South, http://www.museumofthenewsouth.org Charlotte, NC
- BEST NIGHT OUT: Nashville, TN http://www.nowplayingnashville.com/org/detail/32141/Music_City_Nights_LIVE
- BEST DINNER RESTAURANT: Etch, Nashville, TN http://www.etchrestaurant.com
- BEST HISTORIC HOUSE: Graceland, Memphis, TN
- BEST WEIRD ATTRACTION: The Peabody Ducks, Memphis, TN http://www.peabodymemphis.com/peabody-ducks/
- BEST UNEXPECTED GEM: a tie between Augusta, MO, and Manitoulin Is., ON, Canada http://www.augusta-missouri.com & http://www.manitoulin-island.com
- MOST GENEROUS LOCAL: Eunice Boevehttp://www.euniceboeve.net
- BEST NATIONAL PARK: Nicodemus, Nicodemus, KS
- BEST OUTDOOR ACTIVITY: Walk or run around lake in Estes Park, Rocky Mt. National Park http://www.evrpd.com/marina/lake-estes-trail-a-picnic-areas
- BEST DRIVE: Lake Estes, CO to Rock Springs, WY http://www.visitestespark.com & http://www.rswy.net
- BEST PLACE TO STRETCH YOUR LEGS AND HAVE LUNCH: Steamboat Springs, CO http://www.creekside-cafe.com & http://www.steamboatchamber.com
- BEST TRAVELING COMPANION: Karen Casey Fitzjerrell
- BEST HOME STAY: Lazy P Ranch, Buffalo, WY http://www.vrbo.com/656153
- MOST SCENIC DINNER: Buoy’s in Gore Bay, Manitioulin Is., ON, Canada, across from the Queen’s Inn http://www.buoyseatery.com & http://www.thequeensinn.ca
- BEST LAKE: Lake Huron, Great Lakes, Canada and USA http://www.great-lakes.net/lakes/huron.html
- BEST HOTEL: The Omni King Edward, Toronto, ON, Canada http://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/toronto-king-edward?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0ZauBRDOnoGQ2PTb9YoBEiQAQ6m_7LgtH67avVzFAsgyGSjTKKV5LSAw4Kzuvv50zDu-JHsaAjAY8P8HAQ
- BEST HIGH SCHOOL REUNION: Gemma Wain, Editor, Toronto, ON, Canada
- BEST LUNCH RESTAURANT: Signs, Toronto, ON, Canada http://signsrestaurant.ca
- BEST PLACE TO AVOID AT ALL COST: Taylor’s Tea Room, Dundas, ON, Canada http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g2645488-d4853835-Reviews-Taylor_s_Tea_Room_Takeaway-Dundas_Hamilton_Ontario.html
- BEST AND MOST PRIZED PURCHASES: Two photographs by Janusz Wrobel, studio in Dundas, ON, Canada, and Honorable Mention to hand blown glass by Sam Stang http://www.januszwrobel.com/#1 & http://www.samstang.com
- BEST WATERFALL: Niagara, ON, Canada & NYS, USA, with an
Honorable Mention to Munising Falls, Munising, MI, http://www.niagarafallstourism.com & http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/munising.shtml
- BEST WINE-RELATED ACTIVITIES (OTHER THAN THE NIGHTLY DRINKING OF IT): Canandaigua Wineries Visits http://canandaiguawinetrail.com
Thanks again for traveling with us. If you have any questions or comments related to our awards, they’ll be gratefully received!
Great trip, Andi. Thanks for taking us along. Don’t envy you the Post Office tub of mail. Welcome home.
Thanks, Paul. Mail is now sorted and almost dealt with–thank goodness we didn’t go away for 7 weeks Christmastime though.
Whoa!! Had no idea I was up for the “award.” Please don’t tell anyone I was the ONLY traveling companion to jump on board for a week of fun exploring. My fav was the Theodore Roosevelt Nat’l Park, the buffalo, and wild horses.
Noooo–you were up against the two of us so won in a category of three! Good to have your input.
How fun. Thank you again for allowing us to travel with your. Doris
And thanks again for coming along!
Whew! I’m worn out and I sat at my desk! I trust the judges on the picks. Most important: you had a great time! Welcome home.
My brother asked me if the car was still running. I told him, the car is running. I am not… Thanks for joining us, Rolynn.
A nice array of awards to commemorate your travels. I agree with the judges — these award picks would be mine, too!
Glad you approve! 😉 Thanks for traveling along.
Well Thanks! I made #10 for generosity. You can’t beat that. You two are sweethearts. Hope we’ll meet again one day.
Oh, by all means, we have to!